The Cambridge Engineering course is exclusive. It allows you to keep your options open whereas equipping you with all the analytical, design and computing abilities that underpin modern engineering observe.
Half I (Years 1 and 2) offers a broad education in engineering fundamentals, enabling you to make a genuinely informed selection about the world by which to specialise from your third year (many students change course as a result). Half II (Years three and 4) then gives in-depth coaching in your chosen professional self-discipline.
The next specialisations can be found within our Engineering course:
– Aerospace and Aerothermal Engineering
– Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering
– Electrical and Electronic Engineering
– Electrical and knowledge Sciences
– Vitality, Sustainability and the Setting
– Data and Pc Engineering
– Instrumentation and Control
– Mechanical Engineering
See the Course define tab and the Department web site for further details.
Division and services
The Division is a number one worldwide centre for research, constantly ranked the highest attaining amongst British universities. We even have sturdy hyperlinks with trade, with many research initiatives funded by industrial companies.
Our facilities are excellent: the Dyson Centre for Engineering Design supplies access to traditional hand and machine tools, in addition to fashionable pc-controlled equipment and speedy prototyping; the Design and Challenge Workplace is geared up with more than eighty workstations; and the library has 30,000 books and takes about 350 journals. The Department’s Language Programme for Engineers gives specialised courses in any respect ranges in French, German, Spanish, Chinese language and Japanese.
You’re required to complete six weeks of industrial experience by the top of the third year, obtained by deferring entry or throughout vacations. Our full-time Industrial Placement Co-ordinator helps deferred entrants and undergraduates to seek out appropriate placements (in the UK and abroad) and sponsorship.
A small number of scholars spend their third 12 months learning abroad through our change schemes with Ecole Centrale Paris and the Nationwide University of Singapore (NUS).
The course is accredited by the Engineering Council and by all the major establishments, together with the Institutions of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), Engineering and Technology (IET), Civil Engineers (ICE), and Structural Engineers (IStructE), the Institute of Measurement and Control (InstMC), the Institute of Highway Engineers (IHE), the Chartered Establishment of Highways and Transportation (CIHT), the Institute of Physics and Engineering in Drugs (IPEM), and the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS). An acceptable mixture of Part II papers is required in every case.
Data on tuition charge rates for Engineering is offered on the tuition charges page.
Additional course costs
– College students pay for photocopying and printing if they exceed their free quota (Yr 1 – £2, Yr 2 – £3, Yr3 – £7, Yr4 – £9), which is designed to accommodate the majority of the requirements of the course. (extra printing is charged at £1 per forty sheets)
– Required: a College authorised scientific calculator (CASIO fx 991 (any model), CASIO fx a hundred and fifteen (any model), CASIO fx 570 (any version)), this could also be purchased from the division or other suppliers – Estimated cost £25
– Required: drawing instruments (HB Pencil, Shine Plastic Eraser – half E210A or 760402, 300mm acrylic ruler with metric and imperial scales, Ecobra Compass – half 3754, Rumold Circle template – part 2812, Rumold Protractor – half 1026 or equivalents), these may be bought as a pack from the Division or other suppliers – Estimated cost £25
– Optionally available: journeys for those taking language courses – Estimated price £350
12 months 3
12 months 4
– Non-compulsory: trips for these taking language courses – Estimated cost £350
Further details of further prices could be found on the Department web site.
Students might switch to Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology after the primary yr, or to Management Studies or Manufacturing Engineering after completing Engineering Part I. Students might change into the Engineering third-yr course, typically from Arithmetic and Pure Sciences. College students from Medicine and Veterinary Drugs may take Engineering as their third year specialisation.
To be able to alter course, you want the settlement of your School that any change is in your instructional pursuits, and also you will need to have the required background in the topic to which you wish to change – in some circumstances you may be required to undertake some catch-up work or take up the brand new course from the start/an earlier yr. For those who suppose it’s possible you’ll wish to change course, we encourage you to contact a Faculty admissions office for recommendation. You also needs to consider if/how changing course might have an effect on any monetary help arrangements.
Once you graduate, you’re fully qualified in your chosen area, knowledgeable throughout the range of engineering disciplines, and ready to use new applied sciences in novel situations, supplying you with an advantage over engineering graduates from different more narrowly focused courses. Prospects are usually wonderful, with 96 per cent of respondents to the Graduate Outcomes survey reporting that they’re were in employment or additional research 15 months after graduation.¹
Our students are in nice demand and so they go on to careers in all the foremost industrial and business sectors. Positions at present held by a few of our graduates embrace Graduate Engineer, Atkins; Graduate RF Systems Engineer, Airbus Defence and Area; Advisor, TTP plc; Analyst, Goldman Sachs; Actual-Time Control and Software program Engineer, UK Atomic Energy Authority; Business Analyst, McKinsey & Firm; and Manufacturing Engineer, Rolls-Royce plc..
¹ Primarily based on responses to the Graduate Outcomes survey. This records the outcomes of students who completed their studies between August 2018 and July 2019.